NaNoWriMo is almost here. Are you ready? If not, here’s a list of a few things that may make it easier for you to prepare for the crazy writing that is November:
1) Cleanliness is next to… writerly-ness? In other words, take one day this week to super-clean your place of living. I know it doesn’t sound like a lot of fun, especially when you could be finishing up your outline. But if you do the super-cleaning now, all you have to do is a couple of things every couple of days to keep your place from looking like a zombie lair.
2) Get your paper work done. I’m not talking about your outline either… Paper plates and paper towels are going to be your closest friends this month. It erases the need to wash towels and plates AND – if you reach that point – can be made into your “Wilson.”*
3) Do you want fries with that? Okay, potatoes are cool and all in their spudliness,** but I’m talking about cheezburgers. Not just any cheezburgers though: The cat kind. You heard me! Get yourself some awesomely cute cats on your screen saver so that when you’ve fallen into the writing funk and cannot. stop. staring at the screen, something entertaining pops up to pull you to safety (read: sanity***).
4) It’s my party, and I’ll cry if I want to! You go right ahead and have a pity party! And to have a damn good one when your NaNo novel is being a whiny little brat and slapping you in the face, go out and get yourself some Schweddy Balls! NomNom.
5) Nathan Fillion. Nuff said.****
6) An on-call nurse. I’ve talked about how I take my caffeine before. It’s useful for the early mornings and late nights. That’s why a nurse should be available 24/7 to hook up the main line for your coffee/cappuccino/energy drink of choice. WARNING: Trying to do it yourself could result in a serious caffeine spill, and that would be disastrous!
These are just a few of the things that will help you on your NaNoWriMo journey. The most important thing to remember is that NaNo isn’t something to be taken too seriously! Have fun with it and see how far you can challenge yourself=)
*Please tell me you recognize that! Besides, I know you want one=)
**I now ask you to ignore my horrible, horrible pun… even though you laughed.
****Okay, maybe not really. You need lots of him. Be it Castle, Firefly, a season of Buffy, or Dr. Horrible’s Sing-A-Long Blog Nathan Fillion is a must have for any DVD player. And though Halloween will be over, Slither and White Noise 2 will work as well=)