A Day In The Life of [This] Mother/Writer

As a mother and a writer, my days are full to the point of needing extra hours in the day. I am lucky to be able to be at home to take care of my kids and write while Hubs is out working hard to provide for our little family. And while his days are full as well, I don’t live his days. I live mine (yes, I’m pointing out the obvious, just go with it).

Every morning I get up at or a little before 8:00 in the AM. I run to the gas station to get my much needed cappuccino and sometimes gas if the tank is running low. When I get home I start helping Hubs get ready for work, getting his clothes hung up, his tea and lunch ready, and running around doing the little honey-do’s the morning work rush entails. My kids wake up while Hubs is getting ready for work and I get Little Man’s diaper changed, and he and Precious are set up in the living room with cartoons.

Hubs leaves for work around 8:30 and that gives me time to sit down and do a little blog following while the kids run around in the living room, watching cartoons and playing. I finish my cappuccino and my reading of blogs and at 9:15 I get the kids set up for breakfast. (This is something that will have to change when school starts again as it will be time for my Precious to start kindergarten, but as a writer and a mother, I have learned to adapt to change.) Little Man climbs up into his booster and snaps himself in (”I did it, Mommy!”) and Precious sits across from him telling me she wants French Toast and Waffles and Pancakes and PopTarts and donuts and… the list goes on. I get them whatever is easier for me in the mornings. It usually consists of cereal, PopTarts, scrambled eggs, or frozen waffles. I pick up the bathroom and feed and water the cat while the kids eat.

By 9:45 the kids are usually done and I get them dressed (or not. It depends on the season or the temperature outside since right now it is winter cold and it’s almost JUNE!). I then put the dirty dishes in the sink (or throw them away) and go back to the computer. I spend the next hour typing up a blog, writing a bit on my WIP, or doing research. 11:00 comes around and I get the kids their lunch. A bologna sandwich, leftovers from the night before, or Micky D’s is on the menu. Easy-Peasy. They eat and then back into the living room to watch Bubble Guppies and Team Umizoomi. More dishes in the sink or the trash and I am back at the computer doing finishing touches to my blog, more writing or research for my WIP.

By the time I look at my watch again, it is 12:30 and time to get Little Man down for a nap. I get him to his room, cartoons on and turned down low, and tell him to lie in bed and take a nap. Whether he naps or not is another story. Sometimes he does right away, sometimes he plays for a while and then falls asleep, and sometimes he just plays with no nap whatsoever. I post my blog entry if I’m done with it and get to work on my book.

This IS my cat and that IS the front door!
3:00 rolls around and it’s time to get the kids a snack, change the butt of my Little Man, and get to cleaning the house. I do laundry, wash some dishes, pick up the house, make the bed, trip over the cat, dodge flying toys, take out the trash, stop the kids from killing each other, stop the kids from killing the cat, rescue the cat from it’s perch on top of the front door, put clothes away, straighten up the flat surfaces throughout the house, replace the couch cushions, and start supper. It is now 5:00.

Little Man goes back to his room to play and Precious is asked to pick up the toys in her room. Supper is easy. Hamburger Helper, baked chicken, hamburgers, etc, all with appropriate sides. Between stirrings, I lurk on Twitter (using TweetDeck) and check out Facebook. I link both to my blog and update my status occasionally.

By the time 6:00 comes around I’m putting the finishing touches on supper, and Hubs is walking through the door. He gets his plate set up while I get the kids’ plates set up. Little Man snaps himself into his chair (”I did it, Mommy!”), Precious sits at hers and starts talking about making spaghetti tacos, and the cat winds its way between our legs. I get my plate once the kids are eating and we spend the next 45 minutes or so eating and talking and stopping Little Man from throwing his food on the floor.

Supper done, it’s now 7:00. Dirty dishes go in the sink and leftovers go in the fridge. The kids play until it’s bath time around 7:30. Little Man first and then Precious. She plays in the tub while I get Little Man toweled off and in pajamas.

8:00 PM rolls around and it’s time to get Little Man in bed and get Precious out of the tub. With him going to sleep and her toweled off and in pajamas, I pop in a movie for her to watch a bit of in my room while Hubs watches TV in the living room. I sit at the computer, listening to whichever movie Precious has picked out and typing on the keyboard. I am up and down as need for her, or Hubs. Sometimes I even get myself a drink. Then, at 9:00 it’s bed time for Precious.

I have the rest of the night to work on some blog posts or my WIP. Sometimes I’ll check out #pubwrite and chit-chat a bit. It’s also a chance for me to watch some TV or a new movie with Hubs. By the time it’s 11:00 PM, I’m dead tired and probably falling asleep on the couch or at the desk. I get up and do a few last minute chores, get into my pajamas, and finally get to go to bed myself. It’s midnight.

Now, this is a typically easy day for me. It doesn’t include the times I have to run errands and pay bills and make phone calls. I don’t mention how many times I get up while trying to read blogs because my son wants me to see something in the living room or wants more drink in his sippy cup. Did you notice I also didn’t mention myself eating until supper? Yeah, that’s usually true. As a mother I know my responsibilities to my children, and meet them with a smile on my face, knowing I’m making a difference in their lives. As a writer, I often forget about taking care of myself and don’t recognize the pangs of hunger rumbling through my stomach until I start cooking supper. I live off cappuccino, Red Bull, and 20oz bottles of Mt Dew.

This also doesn’t reflect my weekends which are a little bit easier and a lot more relaxing. I don’t often write during the weekends except for two reasons. 1) I didn’t get a lot of writing done during the week, and need to catch up to my word count goal. 2) I have an incredible idea on a particular scene or blog that demands immediate attention or I lose it and spend the next day banging my head against the wall… Which isn’t fun by the way.

That’s a typical day in the life of me. How do you spend your days? Do you have it scheduled or do you do things on a whim? For the mother/writer out there: How do you balance your writing and taking care of your kids?

About Katie Doyle

Katie Doyle is an avid reader, writer of NA and Adult fiction, a mom to two tornadoes that resemble an eight and six year old, and pet to a tuxedo cat named Oz and a German Shepherd/Boxer rescue named Charlie. If she's not reading, writing, or getting Oz out of a tree, she's screaming at characters on TV and trying not to curse around her kids.
This entry was posted in blog, cleaning, Life, Twitter, WIP, Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to A Day In The Life of [This] Mother/Writer

  1. Aubra says:

    Your organization leaves me in awe.I'm a full time student, and I work part-part time, but those aren't really enough to give much structure to my days. Some days I'll have work and classes until nine at night; other days I'll be slobbing around in my pajamas until my two o'clock lecture. Then the end of the quarter rolls around, and it all changes again.I get most of my work- schoolwork and writing- done in the late evening, when I'm not running errands or going to meetings are scrambling to class. This means that morning is my deathly enemy, and four o'clock coffee is king.

  2. Katie says:

    Coffee is good any time of the day, no matter what doctors say! Writers know the truth of this! Good luck with school!

Comments are closed.